One of the most generalized terms used in the world of law is theft. There are a variety of different kinds of theft and each of them has different types of punishment if a person is convicted. Being arrested for any type of theft can be very troubling and scary. In order to get the legal help you need during this time in your life, you will need to call on the team at McDaniel Law Group, PLLC. We have helped a number of people who were in the same predicament.
Some people think they can handle their own defense when charged with any type of theft. The fact is, without the right amount of legal knowledge, it will be very hard for a person to get the right outcome when representing themselves in a court of law. When coming to us for help, you will be able to take advantage of things like:
- Our Investigators- In order to get all of the information needed to mount a proper defense in a theft case, we will have to do some investigating. Our team of investigators know what to look for and will be able to uncover even the smallest details pertaining to your case.
- Negotiation Skills- Generally, cases like this will be settled out of court with a plea bargain. When trying to get the right terms of your plea bargain, you will need legal professionals to assist you.
- Extensive Knowledge of Theft Laws- Without a background in the legal field, it will be hard for you to follow the complicated theft laws on the books. Let our team of experienced theft crime lawyers in Washington D.C. help you navigate your way through this difficult process.
Understanding the Different Types of Theft
With all of the different types of theft charges out there, making sense of what you are being accused of can be challenging. This is when the team at the McDaniel Law Group, PLLC can help you. We know the ins and outs of theft laws and will be able to offer you information regarding what type of charges you are facing. Below you will find some of the most common theft charges we have handled and what they entail.
- Larceny/Theft- Larceny is another name for a simple theft. When property is unlawfully taken from its rightful owner, the guilty party will usually be charged with a larceny offense. The scope of what can be considered larceny is quite broad. Generally, the monetary value of the items that were stolen plays a large part in determining how a particular larceny case is classified.
- Identify Theft- When an individual’s personal information is stolen and used to run up debt, it is usually classified as identity theft. In the past few years, cases of identity theft have been on the rise. If you have been wrongly accused of this offense, be sure to call the McDaniel Law Group, PLLC for some help.
- Robbery- If violence or the threat of violence is used to take possessions that don’t belong to a person, then they will usually be charged with robbery. Armed robberies are very common and carry with them a very stiff sentence.
Regardless of the type of theft charges you are facing, you will need to reach out to our team of lawyers for help. Going at the legal defense process alone can make matters much worse.
Common Defenses Used in Theft Cases
Now that you know about the most common types of theft cases we come across, you are ready to see what type of defenses we commonly offer. While every case is different in regards to how we will handle it, there are a few basic guidelines that we follow with every client we take on.
- Learning About Specific Intent- For a theft charge to hold up in court, the prosecutors will have to prove that you had specific intent to commit the act in question. If this is not proven, you may be able to get a not guilty verdict from the jury.
- Asportation- In order for a theft to be proven, the items in question will have to have been transported away from the owner’s property. Prosecutors will have to prove the possessions were stripped away from the owner, were in the complete possession of the thief and were moved away from their rightful owner.
- The Defendant Has Rights to the Property- There are a number of theft cases that arise from disputes over who is the rightful owner of a piece of property. If a person takes something they believe they are the rightful owner of, they may be able to avoid being charged with theft.
McDaniel Law Group, PLLC is Here to Assist You!
If you are facing a theft charge and need legal counsel, then your first call needs to be to the McDaniel Law Group, PLLC. We will schedule a consultation where you can tell us all of the details of your case. Once we find out the particulars of the charges you are facing, we will be able to offer you advice on the best way to develop a winning defense strategy.
Contact Us At Washington DC Criminal Defense Lawyer
Remember, no matter the charge, you deserve the chance to defend yourself. We’ll give you that chance (and then some). Call us today at 202-331-0793 to make an appointment, or fill out the contact form on this page to seize the opportunity to protect your future.