Taking someone and holding them against their will is the textbook definition of kidnapping. If you are facing kidnapping charges and feel that you are being falsely accused, then you will have to work hard to stay out of jail. If you attempt to defend yourself in a case like this, you may find it very difficult to get a favorable outcome. Each case involving kidnapping is unique and will be treated as such when dealing with our lawyer at the McDaniel Law Group, PLLC.
Hiring our law firm to help you can be beneficial for a number of reasons like:
- Knowing Your Rights- The first thing that you need to find out when facing these types of charges is what your rights are. Our team will have no problem letting you know what your rights are and helping you figure out what your next logical move is.
- Getting Your Bail Reduced- Another important thing you will be able to get help with when hiring our lawyers is getting your bail reduced. We will work hard to get your bail reduced so you can get out of jail and be with your family during this troubling time.
- Let Us Investigate- Allowing us to investigate your case is the best way to build a defense strategy. We have a team of investigators that are here to help and get the particulars of a case nailed down before going to trial.
Neglecting to get legal representation during this difficult time can lead to a number of additional negative consequences.
What Should You Do When Charged With Kidnapping?
Often times, kidnapping charges will result from child custody disputes. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your case, you will need to follow a few basic rules.
- Exercise Your Right to Remain Silent- When detained by law enforcement and charged with kidnapping, you need to exercise your right to remain silent. Talking to police officers without representation can lead to you incriminating yourself and making things a lot worse.
- Get Legal Representation- The first call you need to make when booked on kidnapping charges is to our law firm. Once we arrive, we will be able to guide you through the interrogation process with ease. Without our presence, you may say the wrong thing and find yourself facing additional charges as a result.
- Know Exactly What You Are Charged With- When being booked, you need to find out what you are being charged with. Getting a list of your charges will be very beneficial when trying to mount a proper defense. Letting our firm know what you have been charged with will allow us to get to work on your behalf.
By following these steps, you will be able to avoid doing additional damage to your representation. The McDaniel Law Group, PLLC is here to help you with your case. Give us a call and let us get the ball rolling on your defense strategy.
Defenses Used During Kidnapping Cases
In order to successfully beat a kidnapping charge, you will need an iron clad defense strategy. Here are some of the most common defenses that are used in these types of cases.
- Ignorance of the Law- In some cases, a person may be able to use the fact that they were ignorant of kidnapping laws to beat their charges. If lawyers can prove their client thought they were acting within the bounds of the law, they may be able to get them exonerated of the charges.
- The Insanity Defense- If a person can prove that they did not have control of their mental state during the time they were holding a person hostage, charges may be lessened. In order to use this defense, lawyers will have to work with closely with mental health professionals. These professionals will be able to evaluate the defendant and give their professional opinion regarding their mental state.
- Compulsion or Duress- When a person kidnaps another to protect them from bodily harm, the compulsion or duress defense may be used. The defense lawyer will have to prove their client was being threatened and acted on impulse to save themselves and the victim of the kidnapping from harm.
- The Victim Consented- In some instances, the kidnapping offense will be rendered baseless is the victim consented. While this defense is seldom used, it can be effective with the right circumstances.
Let our team help you figure out exactly what type of defense is best to use for your set circumstances.
Contact Us Now!
Waiting to contact our lawyer after being charged with kidnapping can cause more trouble. Call us at 877-620-3644 to talk an experienced member of our staff. Once you come in for a consultation, we will be able to use the information you provide to help you figure out the best way to provide you with the right defense.
Contact Us At Washington DC Criminal Defense Lawyer
Remember, no matter the charge, you deserve the chance to defend yourself. We’ll give you that chance (and then some). Call us today at 202-331-0793 to make an appointment, or fill out the contact form on this page to seize the opportunity to protect your future.