Possession and Distribution Drug Charges in Washington D.C.

According to the FBI, there were 1,186,810 arrests for U.S. drug law violations in 2016. Of those, 84.7% were for possession of a controlled substance and the remaining 15.3% were for selling or manufacturing a drug. In Washington D.C alone, 3,572 people were arrested for drug related crimes.

Drug ChargesIf you have been arrested and charged with a drug crime, it is important to retain the services of an experienced Washington D.C. criminal defense attorney immediately. Prosecutors and courts in the District do not treat drug crimes lightly, and will aggressively seek jail time whenever possible. Your future and your freedom depends on building a solid defense against these types of charges.

Types of Drug Charges in Washington D.C. 

In Washington D.C., there are three different types of drug offenses, each of which carries its own set of penalties.

Distribution

The crime of drug distribution is a felony offense. The length of prison sentence depends largely on the substance involved, but some convictions can be as high as 30 years. In order to prove distribution, the prosecution must have evidence that the distribution of a substance actually occurred. It is important to note that D.C. drug laws do not require proof that a defendant received anything of value for the drug, however. As such, simply sharing drugs is enough for prosecutors to seek drug distribution charges.

Possession with Intent to Distribute

For the prosecution to prove possession with an intent to distribute, they only need to prove that you intended to sell or transfer the drug. If you are arrested with a large amount of a controlled substance in your possession, you may find yourself facing a felony drug charge that comes with hefty fines and a lengthy prison sentence.

Simple Possession

Simple possession is a misdemeanor charge that carries up to 180 days in jail. If you are caught in possession of PCP, however, it becomes a felony offense that could result in up to 3 years in prison. To be convicted of simple possession, the prosecution must prove that you knowledgeably had a measurable amount of a controlled substance in your possession.  For marijuana, this means more than 2 ounces. As of 2015, it is no longer illegal for adults over the age of 21 to possess up to 2 ounces of marijuana at any given time.

Have You Been Arrested for Drug Charges? 

If you have been arrested for a drug charge in Washington DC, you need a law firm on your side that can mount an aggressive defense against such serious charges. At the McDaniel Law Group, our Washington DC legal team is ready to fight for you and your rights. We know how to expose holes in the prosecution’s case and will work tirelessly throughout the legal process to obtain the most favorable outcome. Contact our experienced Washington DC legal team at (202) 873-9244 today.